Thursday, October 06, 2005

Your Post #3...

A ransom note creates a value for an invaluable thing (a person, a memorable object). This process of putting a monetary or objective value on a personal thing seems cold and unfeeling, but it is something that is worth exploring. What is your best friend worth? What is the value of your favorite stuffed animal? What would you do to get back your hoodie signed by your favorite band? These are the questions that I would you to answer in your next post. I want you to put a price on emotional connection. Mine would go something like this.

My wife is worth pain. She is worth scraping sandpaper across my face. She is worth the back end of a hammer to my knee. She is worth running until my lungs bleed. She is worth charging at barbed wire with my eyes open. My wife is worth pain.

or

My computer, my pets, my collection of music, all of the cards and letters that I keep in a box in the closet. I will burn all of these things in a fire so hot that not even my dog's whimper would escape. I will punch through walls and trip defenseless little kids. I will do these things to save my songs. That is what they are worth to me.


This is going to be one you will have to think about because putting a worded value on things that are too valuable for words is hard. Try it though, you may realize just how important these things are to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home